Nino Negri - Valtellina Sfursat 5 Stelle - Red
Mazèr, which means "good, beautiful and generous" in the local Lombardic dialect, is made from 100% Nebbiolo grapes (Chiavenasca), the best grapes from Valtellina's four sub-districts. 20% of the grapes are harvested by hand at the end of September and then dried slightly for 40 days. The grapes are then vinified with their skins and stored in small new and only once used French and American oak barrels for 14 months. The remaining 80% of the grapes are fermented at controlled temperature - between 26-29 ° C. After having been stored in steel tanks, a part of the wine is then further stored for additional 16 months in small French oak barrels while the remaining part is stored for 22 months in 32- 57 hectoliters of large French oak barrels.
- Country : Italy
- Region : Lombardy
- Grape variety : Nebbiolo (Chiavenasca)
- Classification : DOCG Valtellina Superiore
- Awards : 3 bicchieri Gambero Rosso, Vino top Go Wine, Miglior vino L'Espresso,
- Color : Red
- Vintage : 2011
- Alcohol degree : 13.5 %
- Storage potential : 8-10 years
- Volume : 75 cl
Presentation of the vineyard
Nino Negri was founded in 1897 by Nino Negri himself, wholesaler from Aprica. The winery was established at Castello Quadrio, which was erected in 1432 for the feudal lord Stefano Quadri's, and is located in the Sondrio district just north of Lake Como. The castle from the 15th century is still the seat of Nino Negri and still represents, from a wine perspective, the region's most impressive historical heritage. The wine cellar's maze shape contains a rich blend of advanced wine technology and respect for the local wine tradition, which is not least reflected in the impressive oak barrel storage of 1,500 oak barrels. The vineyard includes 31 hectares of land in the region's four different terroir areas; Sassella, Grumello, Inferno and Fracia.
A deep, pomegranate color. A very expressive and compound nose with the dominance of bitter spices (cloves and licorice) but also of chocolate and plum jam. The palate is dry, soft and harmonious with an elegant base of citrus. An elegant red wine with good balance to pair with grilled red meat, varied dishes on lamb or with stored cheeses.