Montalbera "Laccento" - DOCG Ruchè - Red

Laccento from Montalbera is a red wine from Castagnole Monferrato in the north-western Italy's Piedmont, near the town of Asti, made from 100% Ruchè grapes. Ruchè is not as well known as Barbera or Nebbiolo from the Piedmont, but well so worth to try! The Ruchè grapes have probably their origin in the French Burgundy and has been taken to Monferrato by monks, who planted the grape variety in Italy. This is a wine that was rarely sold, but was kept in the winemaker family for festive occasions. Laccento is produced from grapes grown on at least 25-year-old vines. 95% of the grapes are picked almost overripe and the other 5% are picked shortly before the perfect ripeness and are then placed on wooden grids during a certain time. The wine is then produced according to the traditional method with cool maceration followed by the fermentation. The total fermentation process takes 12-14 days. The wine is bottled and stored for 6 months.

Price (15,42 € Bottle)

92,50 €

Wine description

  • Country : Italy
  • Region : Piemont
  • Grape variety : Ruchè
  • Classification : DOCG Ruchè di Castagnole Monferrato
  • Awards : 99/99 I migliori vini d'Italia (Luca Maroni), 17/20 Jancis Robinson, 87/100 Wine Enthusiast, 88/100 Veronelli, 3/5 Espresso
  • Color : Red
  • Vintage : 2013
  • Alcohol degree : 14 %
  • Storage potential : 6-8 years
  • Volume : 75 cl

Presentation of the vineyard

The estate Montalbera was created in the mid 1900s, but was taken over and developed by the family Morando in the 80s. Land was purchased, new plantings were made and another 10 hectares of Ruche were planted just recently since the demand is constantly increasing. Today, the ruchè vines represent 82 hectares, or 60% of the total vineyard. Also Barbera d'Asti, Grignolino and Viognier are cultivated by Montalbera.

Sommelier's advice

An intense ruby ??color with beautiful purple hues. The aroma is intense and aromatic, mainly floral with hints of roses and violets, but also lightly of jamy wild berries. The palate is velvety and soft, fruity with hints of cherry, berry and apricot. An exciting red wine to serve together with fall and winter stews, or why not a nice classic Piedmont Finanziera!

 

You may also like