Donnafugata - Vigna di Gabri - white

Vigna di Gabri from Donnafugata is produced from not less than Asonica-, Catarratto-, Chardonnay, Sauvignon and Viognier grapes. The grapes grow in the southwestern part of Sicily, in the mineral-clay soils of the hilly terrain, in a vineyard called Vigna di Gabri. The Chardonnay and Sauvignon grapes are harvested in mid-August, the Viognier at the end of August and the local grapes not before mid-September. The grapes are pressed immediately after harvest and is let to ferment at 15-16 °C controlled temperature. 85% of the wine is then stored in cement tanks, while the remaining 15% is aged in French oak barrels. The wine is bottled and is then stored for at least another 4 months.

Price (16,58 € Bottle)

99,50 €

Wine description

  • Country : Italy
  • Region : Sicily
  • Grape variety : Asonica, Catarratto, Chardonnay, Sauvignon, Viognier
  • Classification : DOC Sicilia Bianco
  • Color : White
  • Vintage : 2011
  • Alcohol degree : 13%
  • Storage potential : 10-12 years
  • Volume : 75 cl

Presentation of the vineyard

The Giacomo Rallo family, with his wife Gabriella and the kids Antonio and Jose, is a winemaker family since several generations. Donnafugata means the "flying woman" and the inspiration to the name originates from Tomasi di Lampedusa's novel "Gattopardo", which was also shot by Visconti, in the famous movie "Le Guépard". The Donnafugata project first started in 1983 and represents three different vineyards with Marsala in the west as the main district. The small island of Pantelleria is the 2nd vineyard and Contessa Entellina with its 250 hectares of land, south of Palermo, represents the winery number 3. Donnafugata is one of Sicily's winehouses which has made itself well known for its outstanding quality.

Sommelier's advice

Donnafugata Vigna di Gabri has a beautiful straw yellow color with golden hues. The aroma is fruity, with hints of peach, white fruit, citrus (bergamot) and cedar. The nose has also notes of herbs, mainly from sage. The palate is fresh and soft, well corresponding to the nose impression. Good length in the final. To serve at 10-12 ° to both fish dishes in sauce / casserole, poultry, fish based antipasti or fried mushrooms during the season.

 

You may also like